I was thinking that me trying to stay away from blogging for a whole week would be difficult, given how music-centric this trip was going to be, but I stayed busy enough that it wasn’t an issue. There will be several posts upcoming that were inspired by the trip, but here are some quick thoughts and observations.
– Much thanks to everyone who made suggestions about where to go and what to do while there. Special recognition goes to XO for pointing out Video and Music Exchange, where I found a lot of good stuff, including souvenirs for friends at home. Record shops ended up being a bit part of the trip.
– Speaking of record shops, I got to spend Wednesday afternoon with Paul, talking music and other assorted topics. Great to meet someone in person and find that they are just as cool in real life as they are online. For some reason, I didn’t even think to take a picture until after the fact.
– Good Lord…is Star Pilots really going to be a hit? Because I heard that track A LOT!
– I have been fully won over to “Number One” and “Tiny Dancer”. In the end, resistance was futile.
– “Heartbreak Make Me a Dancer” sounds amazing on the radio. If there is any pop god in the world, they need to ensure that this is a proper hit.
– In a small souvenir shop in Sluis, Netherlands, I heard Lily Allen’s “Fuck You” uncensored on a local radio station. Instantly I loved the Netherlands.
– Much disappointment in the fact that several releases I would have bought (Gary Go, Daniel Merriweather) weren’t coming out until well after my departure.